Basics of Data Visualization in Business IntelligenceThursday August 30th, 2018 Anu Gopalakrishnan, Senior Research Analyst
What meets the eye is definitely a good visual
Through our own experiences we can affirmatively say that we can process visual information much faster than the written word. With the big data in its peak, presenting the right information at an opportune time and in an appropriate format poses a great challenge.
Data Visualization and Data storytelling are vital gears in business intelligence and uplift the information. They knit a story around the values and numbers thus striking the right chord with the stake holders for better decision making.
- Identify right fit products and understand which product to place where
- Trace the improvement areas
- View trends and patterns in data
- Identify the influencing parameters
- View forecast details
Phases in Data Visualization:
How do we proceed towards a good visual?
In order to achieve this, we need to choose the right tools:
- Line Charts are used to track changes or trends over time. Line charts show the relationship between two or more variables.
- Bar Charts are used to associate quantities of different classes.
- Pie Charts are used to visualize part to whole relationships.
- Scatter Plots show joint variations and correlation in data patterns.
- Area graph displays graphically the quantitative data.
The blend of functionality and visual appeal will make sure to build a foundation for an exceptional customer experience.